CARES Higher Education Emergency Relief Fund (HEERF) 30 Day Report
CARES Act Report and Disclosure
May 23rd, 2020
30 Day Report
- Washington State University has signed and returned to the Department the Certification and Agreement on 4/14/20, and gives assurance that WSU intends to use no less than 50% of the funds received under Section 18004(a)(1) of the CARES ACT to provide Emergency Financial Aid Grants to students.
- Washington State University has received $10.884 million from the Department pursuant to our Certification and Agreement (for) Emergency Financial Aid Grants to Students.
- The total amount of Emergency Financial Aid Grants distributed to students under Section 18004(a)(1) of the CARES Act as of 5/20/20 is $7.04 million.
- As of the Spring 2020 semester, the estimated total number of students at Washington State University eligible to participate in programs under Section 484 in Title IV of the Higher Education Act of 1965 and thus eligible to receive Emergency Financial Aid Grants under Section 18004(a)(1) of the CARES Act was 17,010.
- The total number of students at Washington State University who have received an Emergency Financial Grant under Section 18004(a)(1) of the CARES Act as of May 20th, 2020 is 7,047.
- The methods used by Washington State University to determine which students receive Emergency Financial Aid Grants and how much they would receive under Section
18004(a)(1) of the CARES Act is described as follows:
a. Determine criteria for eligible students:
• Students who were not distance education exclusive program and
• Students who had a FAFSA with no outstanding eligibility requirements and
• Students who were meeting Satisfactory Academic Programs and
b. Identify eligible students with the greatest need first (per federal guidance)
• Students who are Pell Eligible for spring 2020
• Students with an EFC of 12,000 or Less
• Awarding Levels ranged from $500-$1500
|Need Eligibility||Independent w/ Dependents||Dependent|
|Not Pell Eligible w/ EFC 12,000 or less||$1,000.00||$500.00|
c. Student Acknowledgment:
• Using the secure myWSU Portal, student completing an online certification acknowledging their understanding and use of these funds.
• Students given a date of June 30th to complete online certification in order for funds to disburse to student.
• Remaining grant funds will be distributed based on an Emergency Fund Request process.
7. The Student body was emailed information regarding the CARES Grant on April 30th.